[TowerTalk] SteppIR Vert

Larry Phipps larry at telepostinc.com
Sun Sep 26 10:41:28 EDT 2004

This would be a design nightmare. You might want to consider a simpler approach. With three verticals in an equilateral triangle layout, and proper switching, you could build a parasitic array with at least 6 beam headings.

By driving one element, shorting another to create a parasitic and opening the third to make it inert, you can make a number of 2el beams with just a couple relays at each base. You would have to place the relays in the housing so that the connection between matching network could be bypassed for the open and shorted conditions.

If you needed more than six headings, you could use both parasitics at the same time as reflectors, giving three more directions... but this adds to the complexity. Of course, you would have to setup a bunch of custom antenna lengths and daisy chain the controllers.

A far simpler, higher gain, but more expensive approach would be to use 5 verticals in a box configuration with one in each corner and one in the center. This would produce a 3 element beam in four directions firing diagonally, with no feed switching since the center element would always be fed. The "driven" element would use stock SteppIR settings, each "parasitic" element would have custom settings for director and reflector lengths, plus a relay to "open" the element.

Keep in mind that the H-plane pattern is much broader than the E-plane pattern, so four directions would probably be OK if the centers of the lobes can be placed on important directions such as Europe or Japan. The box wouldn't have to be square, so there is some room for adjustment of the lobe headings.

You could also get 8 headings by using two reflectors and two directors at a time to fire off the sides of the box, with reduced performance, but this adds to the complexity and probably wouldn't be necessary.

I had a 160/80 (using switched loading coil on 160) version of this design at a contest station I had out in the country years ago and it worked great.

73,
Larry N8LP