[TowerTalk] 80m Newbie...Help w/ Inverted V Please

Fred Roberts w6tkv at arrl.net
Wed Sep 29 21:18:23 EDT 2004

Robin-

When I put up an Inverted V, I always add 3-feet of wire to each end of
the antenna.  Then when you check the SWR and its too high, you can pull
some of each leg of the antenna through the insulator and loosely wrap
in around the "shortened" leg.  Try it again and you will probably see a
lower SWR.  Do it again and check it again.  You will find the task of
tuning an Inverted V takes a very short time.

I remember doing this for a new ham who was putting up a 10M Inv V.  AS
I shortened the antanna by 10" or so, he said, "Gee, I thought I was
supposed to shorten the wire a half-inch at a time."  Get the idea?
Since you don't cut the wire, you can try whatever you want.  When done,
you can then make it neat with tight wrapping of the surplus wire and
cutting the excess off.

I have been using a 80M, 40M, 30M Inverted V whic was easy to do using
the rig's SWR indicator.  After a lot of years the 14 guage wire broke
on 40M, so I am redoing it and adding 12M to the mix.

Hope this helps.

73-
Fred, W6TKV