[TowerTalk] Lightning attraction to "attic dipoles"

Phil Camera kb9cry at comcast.net
Fri Apr 1 10:20:43 EST 2005

I wouldn't be worried that the dipole will "attract" lightning but the fact will remain that any nearby strike (maybe within a mile or so) will definitely induce a current in the dipole.  If it's attached to your rig with no lightning arrestor which is grounded well to an outside ground, damage may occur.  Simply disconnecting may save the rig but if the induced energy is large enough, that may jump out of the coax into the house.  House fires can be nasty!  So, IMHO, the same lightning grounding requirements, including a tie in to the electrical service ground, still apply fully, even with indoor antennas.  Do a search on the archives on this list for mucho info on what others do and recommend.  Gd luck, Phil  KB9CRY