[TowerTalk] Antenna analyzers

K4SB k4sb at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 3 12:30:05 EDT 2005

Pete Smith wrote:
> Not really.  I have a 500-watter 5 miles away that still gives my MFJ 259
> fits.  It is on 1550 KHz, which may be part of the problem.  Makes me
> wonder whether W8LRL, who is about the same distance from me and probably
> runs more ERP, would cause the same sort of problems.  Expect so.
------

I don't have any nearby stations with my 259, but a friend of mine
does. What I did was use an ICE 160 meter low pass filter which has an
extremely high cutoff frequency at 1.6 Mhz. It's normally used on a
short beverage along with an ICE preamp for 160.

Believe me, that thing can dump a 40/9 AM signal into the noise.
Doesn't seem to have any effect on the 259, although I have no way of
determining that.

Both filters are pretty old, but are built into heavy aluminum cases.
Don't know if ICE still makes them.

Hope this helps..

73
Ed