[TowerTalk] When a Yagi Looses an Element

Keith Dutson kjdutson at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 4 11:16:48 EDT 2005

Bill,

Rather than shifting the boom you may want to try using a long tag line on
the "light" end to ground.  I have seen this done with great success.

To place the tag line, there are several options.  I have used a fishing
pole with 3 ounce weight at the top to place a line between the last two
elements and let the line descend to the ground crew.  Then tie the line to
the mast and cut it off.  Attach another weight to the line and place on the
other side of the boom between the last elements.  Cut the second line,
untie the first line and tie to the two together.  Use the fishing pole to
place the junction of the two lines on the boom between the outer elements.
Now the ground crew can attach the tag line to one end of the fishing line
and pull it over the boom.

Keith NM5G