[TowerTalk] trees and towers

Torsten Clay tclay at netdoor.com
Tue Apr 5 14:40:30 EDT 2005

This discussion is interesting, as I just recently put up two guyed towers
(100' and 70') at my qth. My yard is 4 acres of pine forest, with trees up
to about 90' tall.

To put up the towers I had to clear about 50 large trees. I found a logger
and actually made some $ from the deal, but cleaning up after the logger
was a LOT of work! It is still possible for some trees to fall on a guy
wire, but I will just have to live with that risk- at least I removed all
dead, weakened, etc trees near the towers. But others (i.e. over property
lines) I couldn't remove, and I would have been very unpopular in the
neighborhood if I cut every tree on the property!

One other thing to consider with a guyed tower in the trees: be sure you
have enough open space for tramming up antennas! You need to be able to
get further away than the guy radius...

Tor
N4OGW