[TowerTalk] polyrod

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 17:40:58 EDT 2005

Any downside to this stuff other than shipping and handling expense/problems
associated with 8 foot rolls, plus having to buy 5000 feet at a time?  Is it
coated or must one use gloves to keep from getting splinters?  Will it break
if something heavy like a gin pole falls on it?  Does it need to be
protected from UV/weather?

Keith NM5G

Shipping of the 1200 foot roll of 5/16 cable was by truck to my house in
Florida...cost was around $140.  The roll looks like a big Hoola-Hoop....about
eight feet across and the coil is wrapped with cardboard to prevent damge.  Mine
arrived in good shape.

I would recommend gloves in handling it to eliminate any tiny fiberglass
splinters since it is not coated.  However, I did not use gloves.  It is not
flexible like Philly and my guess is it would react the same way as a fishing rod
might if struck.

I have had my Poly up for almost three years and it looks fine in the high UV
climate of FL.  It is guying a 200 footer of Rohn 55.  When I get around it
I'll get the other towers done with it too.

Bill  K4XS