[TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporting tower

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 9 17:13:41 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Lewis" <clewis at knology.net>
<snip>
>   . Proving it,
> however, would not be a trivial task, which is probably the reason most
> manufacturers avoid the issue even though their towers woud 'appear' to be
> capable.
>
> All that still leaves us back at the "analyze it if you have the
> credentials, or pay someone else who does; otherwise do what the maker
says"
> point. YMMV.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Proving that it's safe would require
engineering analysis, and wouldn't be free.  The mfr probably doesn't have
any real incentive to do the analysis (after all, they're selling towers
that don't require guys as a basic desirable feature).  Most mfrs have a
small enough profit margin that accepting potential liability for some
infrequently used installation scheme is out of the question.

So, it comes down to "probably safer", but not something you necessarily
want to trust your homeowner's or liability insurance to, unless you've got
a special relationship with the insurance company.  We used to do all sorts
of bizarre rigging in the special effects industry, relatively little of it
engineered in any classical sense, but on the other hand, our liability
insurance premiums were spectacularly high, and the people working around
the rigging (theoretically) knowingly and willingly accepted the risk of
death or injury.  (hmm.. then again, the death and injury rate in that
industry, and in others that use casual rigging practices, is fairly high,
too.)