[TowerTalk] polyrod panic!

Steve Maki steve at oakcom.com
Sat Apr 9 18:41:15 EDT 2005

Peter Grillo wrote:

> Now you tell me!  After reading the earlier post I panicked and went out to
> look at the condition of a 3/8" supply of polyrod which I had picked up from
> K4XS early in 2004.  Each coil looks fine, with a smooth surface.  But I
> took the suggestion to heart.  After unsnapping all the tie-wraps except the
> few inside coils, the monster sprung several outside coils.  Then I tried to
> lift on side of the remaining coils so I could hopefully roll them along the
> ground to make them unwind, while using the ground to keep the individual
> coils from springing open.  This was a bad idea.  It weighed at least 150
> lbs and I lost control.  Now it's a mess!  I did manage to unwind about 300
> feet of it by taking one coil off the top at a time and walking it.  This
> will be a major effort in the end.  I now realize it's at least a 2-man job.
> Oh well, live and learn....back to watching the Masters.  We're expecting a
> foot of snow tonight.

One man can unroll even a 5000' roll of rod - easy.

The key is to NOT "unroll" it, but leave the coil laying
on the ground, and feed it through a nearby elevated
*eye*.

My *eye* is an 18" long piece of 4" PVC pipe stuck through
a tower at around 10' above ground. The pipe is horizontal
and taped in the tower to hold it. Lay the coil of rod 12'
or 15' from the tower. Feed the end of the rod through the
PVC tube, and then walk it out to whatever length you need,
walk back to the tower, cut it - then rinse and repeat.

It's so easy you won't believe it. The rod rotates in your
hand as it comes off the coil. Wear gloves.

Steve K8LX