[TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporting tower - Yes

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 10 11:54:21 EDT 2005

I think one approach to the problem is this...

1) Clearly, it's going to be somewhat design specific. The mechanism and
critical loads for failure in a free standing tower (bending) and for a
guyed tower (buckling) are different.  Bending depends on the strength of
materials.  Buckling loads depend only on the stiffness, not the material
strength. Most real guyed towers are probably some combination of the two,
and complicated by the fact that free standing towers are often tapered,
while guyed towers are not.

This is the "hire an engineer to make sure" scenario... which doesn't
provide a universal or generic answer, or resolve this long running debate.
You will get several "point design" data points.. Tower A can be guyed,
Tower B cannot, Tower C, we don't know because it hasn't been analyzed.

2) A more fundamental question would be is there any configuration (i.e.
combination of stiffness and strength) where the guyed column would fail and
the canteliever beam would not, with the same lateral load.  This would
answer the "it can't possibly happen question", since all you need is one
example where a plausible structure will fail with guys but not without.

This is a bit tricky.  There are a raft of handy formulas and rules of thumb
for things like steel tube with uniform diameter, but I suspect that a
lattice work tower is pretty far from that, and some fundamental assumption
in the rule of thumb will be violated.