[TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporting tower - Yes

Jerry K3BZ k3bz at arrl.net
Sun Apr 10 15:52:00 EDT 2005

I bought my Heights aluminum tower used, and refurbished it myself. Some of
the leg holes were a little egged out, so I added new bolts in new holes so
it's good and sturdy now.  I had no specs and wasn't able to find any, not
even from Heights. Would it have done me any good to try to hire an engineer
to "do the
calculations" on it, so I can "sue the engineer if it breaks"? I doubt it,
and anyway that's not my idea of peace of mind. There's alreeady too many
people looking to sue anybody they can. For peace of mind, I carry
insurance, but I also have  a set of "untensioned", non-conductive guys on
my puny 45' tower so I can "sleep much easier at night when the wind is
howling".

I've seen a lot of opinions in this thread, but so far I haven't recognized
any clear and convincing evidence that makes me want to take the guys off .
But then, maybe this discussion applies mostly to those with much taller
freestanding towers, for which manufacturer specs are available? It's also
possible that I don't see the practicality because a good deal of the
subject matter discussed on TT is so far over my head 8^)

There's still plenty of value on TT even for me, but this particular thread
seems nearly as polarized and non-conclusive as the perennial thread on
(shudder) lightning rods...

73,  Jerry K3BZ