[TowerTalk] Tower detuning / 160m

DL2OBO Carsten Thomas Dauer dl2obo at parkhotelinteropa.de
Sun Apr 17 09:31:39 EDT 2005

Hi there

Any advice for me  ?

I have a 23m Tower with a KLM-KT34XA on top.

I have installed a W7DD-Style  80m 4-Square  (Comtek) around it.

For 40m I will install  4 sloping Dipoles like in the  ARRL Antenna book 6-30 K1WA  ( Dipoles with 36feet Koax, act as reflector when left open).

I know I have to detune the tower to make it invisible for the 80m array.

What is the (probably) best way to go ?  ( I still need Antenna for 160m)

Shunt feed the tower for 160m ?
 Where should the Omega-Wire be tapped to the mast ? Is it OK in the middle ( 12m)  or will there be an advantage when connecting it to the top of the tower  ( 23m).  I have it now connected at around 12m and got it to resonate on 160m.

Is it so much better to have this "fat" wire  ( tower) instead of a thin copper wire ?

Or is it easier/better to hang a top loaded Wire 1m beside the tower, and use 4 elevated radials as a Top Band antenna ?
 ( while the tower shunt fed for 30m to be QRV there and make it unvisible for the 80m Array. )

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Tom   DL2OBO

Carsten Thomas Dauer