[TowerTalk] DX Engineering Wire Dipole Baluns/alternatives

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 21 12:41:05 EDT 2005

Hello Jim,

I have several miitary style gen purpose center insulators that had a
Military part number on them .

These were phenolic blocks screwed together, with metal hanging 'eye' ,
gaskets, N connector, and Screw on protective cap for the N connector...well
built...

HEY!  I found a picture of one:   See: http://www.fairradio.com/0il-4.jpg

I Google Searched "center Insulator" and got: A ton of useful sites.  Do an
image search using same words...

This center insulator and a coiled coax balun to K1TTT specification as to
turns/diameter should get you a good balun.  Check out:

http://www.k1ttt.net/technote/airbalun.html

Also, get the downloadable manual for the  MFJ 259 from the the MFJ Site
and check it's procedure for field checking the effectiveness of your coiled
coax balun, at any given frequency.

I guess your dilemma is winding a coiled coax balun whose combinations of
diameter and turns and construction show no series resonances at frequencies
of interest.

73, DX, de Pat Barthelow AA6EG aa6eg at hotmail.com