[TowerTalk] 1 5/8" hardline to N female?

Peter Sundberg sm2cew at telia.com
Fri Apr 22 11:49:46 EDT 2005

I acquired 1-5/8" coax for my 432 and 1296 Mhz antennas and I did not have
any connectors for the cable.

So I drilled a hole in the outer jacket about an inch from the end of the
coax and soldered a DIN 7/16 connector (an N-type would work as well),
flange of course to the outer and center pin to the inner conductor. Makes
a nice 90 degree "adaptor" if you know what I mean with the coax open
ended. (you solder the center pin from the end of the coax, down the center
conductor)

Works very well, especially as my coax has foam dielectric, so water is not
getting in easily. I taped up the end of the coax properly, and voila, a
poor mans connector for heavy coax. SWR is fine and measured losses seem to
agree well with specifications for the cable, so I don't see any
deterioration because of the way the connectors are fitted.

It is pretty much the same technique as building your own power dividers
for vhf/uhf with hobby brass tubing.

73/Peter SM2CEW