[TowerTalk] Utility poles/McFarland

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 23 10:47:46 EDT 2005

Years ago Telerex made some side mount brackets/thrust bearings for
rotatable antennas mounted on poles.  Quite generic, made from angle iron
and I assume, metal plate.  The idea mentioned  by Ed, below, using the Rohn
25 top seems a good one.  Some years back I contacted McFarland-Cascade, to
compare pricing for a big pole vs Big tower, and was pleasantly surprised.
A Class A, 120 ft, pressure  treated pole as I recall was about $7000
delivered to central California   (with about half that being transportation
costs.)   Weighed about 8K lbs.   Probably another $1K to get it  vertical
in a hole.  And some more, (but reasonable)  for installing pole steps.  For
that you get a bullet proof, self supporting, climbable  antenna support far
far stronger than steel towers, and it has a more acceptable eye impact
than lattice towers.  The rule of thumb of the utility construction crews
around here is to bury it 10% of it's height, plus 2 ft.  Assuming good
soil, the savings on non necessary concrete foundations would also be
substantial.  One wooden pole manual I have seen rates some 60 ft wooden
poles as being able take a side lode at the top, of more than 1200 lbs....
I dont know the bottom line costs for a Steel Self supporter that is 120 ft,
but recon  it is far more than an equivelant wooden pole....
Check McFarland  Cascasde site:   http://www.mcfarlandcascade.com/

73, de Pat AA6EG   aa6eg at hotmail.com