[TowerTalk] RE :Mosley TA34XL

Dudley Chapman chief at thechief.com
Sat Apr 30 14:53:31 EDT 2005

Jim,
    The Mosley faq at the link you provided sheds no light on why they
recommend no balun.  It's as unscientific as their inability to explain that
advice over the phone.  That business about gain and f/b with the same
tuning may be true, but it has no bearing on the balun discussion.  I think
they just don't really understand why and when baluns are needed.
    On the other hand, it's not surprising that most installations of
tribanders from any vendor seem to work ok without a balun, since the
feedline comes off along the boom and down the tower in a way that preserves
symmetry with the E field of the antenna.
    So the real question is how unique is the Mosley design compared to
other tribanders that make a balun unnecessary or detrimental? I bet the
answer is that it is not unique in that regard.  So that puts us back into
the age old balun vs no balun for any antennas in general.  Is that the way
you see it?

Dudley - WA1X

Jim wrote.......

Message: 2