[TowerTalk] polyrod

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 30 23:35:09 EDT 2005

And, I'll add some of my own experience.  I've built a fair amount of stuff
with structural steel, structural aluminum, and pultruded fiberglass (Extren
550). From a strength standpoint, the aluminum and Extren are about the same
(in bending, tension, compression, but not shear.. Fiberglass is quite weak
in shear).  However, the Extren is about twice as flexible as aluminum (that
is, a 2x2" box tube of aluminum will bend about half as much as the same
size tube in Extren, with a "less than failure" load.

Aramids are substantially stiffer and stronger than glass fibers (in
composites, the resin just keeps the fibers in place, and doesn't contribute
to the strength).  However, that greater stiffness makes them more brittle.
You're not as likely to see a Kevlar/Epoxy spring as a Glass/Epoxy spring.