[TowerTalk] Why preload guy lines?

Floyd Sense fsense at copper.net
Fri Aug 5 11:45:10 EDT 2005

Steve - since you brought this up, I have a related question for you.  When
I first read the Loos literature at their website, they made it plain that
their gauges were calibrated for the stainless lines used on boats.  I
figured that the way the gauges work it was possible that a stainless line
and an EHS line of the same diameter might produce different readings when
tensioned to the same amount (the EHS is a lot stiffer, right?).  So, I
asked the Loos people about that and they told me to contact YOU with the
question!  Never did that, so am doing it now.  Do you know if there is any
difference in the measured tension on the two types of guy lines that have
been adjusted to the same tension with the conventional type of gauge?

For those who haven't used one, the Loos gauge is definitely the way to go
and makes checking the tension periodically very easy.

73, K8AC