[TowerTalk] EF140 antenna problem

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 6 13:13:30 EDT 2005

If you are feeding directly with no hairpin the feed point impedance will
cause high VSWR.  You can make a hairpin equivalent from three turns of 12
gauge solid copper wire wound on a 3 inch form.  Leave about 1.5 inch at
each end for spade terminals to connect to the antenna feed point.  After
installation, tune shorting bar for resonance, then spread coil slightly to
minimize VSWR at resonance.

To prevent RF current from conducting to the feed line (coax shield), use a
current balun or RF choke at the feed point.

73, Keith NM5G