[TowerTalk] ground radials/earth anchors

Tony Martin W4FOA w4foa at comcast.net
Tue Aug 16 11:13:53 EDT 2005

Phil,
Something that works great for me is the 16 inch long "stiff metal wire"
that one uses to pin insulation rolls between floor joists (called
Insulation Supports).  I use a hammer and a cold chisel and cut each on in
half....very strong and readily available by the box (600 per box) for very
reasonable price at your local building supply store.

Just another option.

While on radials....I made up a radial burying helper tool out of a 6 foot
replacement wooden handle (for rakes, etc), cut a groove in the end and
place an old skill saw blade in the groove with a bolt serving as an axle.
If your earth is fairly soft, you can cut a groove in a hurry with this
tool.  Not as easy as using an edger (which I use most of the time).

Radials are a lot of work but the work is rewarding!

73
Tony, W4FOA