[TowerTalk] Tuners for 100 W rigs

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Aug 31 03:10:21 EDT 2005

> Any recommendations for tuners for an IC 706.  It must be
compact for easy
> transport.  Any comments on the LDG line?

One of the last things I was doing for MFJ were the MFJ
automatic tuners. I put a lot of work into component
selection. At the design point where I was comparing them to
LDG tuners components and layout were better for voltage and
current rating, but the baluns came along after I left. A
recent look at MFJ baluns show some serious design flaws.

They use a single core 4:1 current balun (as per incorrect
claims that it works OK by Sevik) and so the 4:1 current
baluns suck big time. They have terrible balance issues. I'm
not sure if all the auto tuners wound up with that poor
balun design or not.

73 Tom