[TowerTalk] Dipole questions for the Liberal Arts Major

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Aug 31 03:53:30 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji at contesting.com>

>> Would it make any sense to cut one of the bow tie wires to a different
>> frequency than the other to get a double tuned circuit type of
>> response?
>
> I've never really investigated that so I have no idea if it
> is better or not.

I tried modeling that with EZNEC and it didn't seem to help much,
so I ended up keeping the lengths the same. I also modeled the two
wire bow-tie dipole with the open ends and with the ends closed
(as with Tom's cross spreader). Aside from changing the electrical
length, adding the spreader wire didn't seem to improve the bandwidth
noticeably. For the 80 meter version that I installed at the local club
station (inverted-vee configuration), the modeled VSWR bandwidth
was in good agreement with the measured VSWR bandwidth, so
I trust the model at least a little.