[TowerTalk] Coax grounding to crank-up tower for shunt-fed antenna

Richard W. Harris Richard_Harris at byu.edu
Wed Aug 31 11:52:48 EDT 2005

Hi,
I'm working on a shunt-fed tower for 160M.  I'm routing the coax inside
the center of my crank-up tower.  Do I need to ground the coax shield to
the tower at the top and bottom of the tower?  I recall reading that I
should perform this grounding of the coax shield and another place I
read says not to worry.  Just wondering what the group has to say about
this.  How about the rotor control cable?  Do I need to do anything
special with this cable other than make sure it is inside the center of
the tower?

Also, ON4UN's book says to tape/tie the coax to the inside of the tower
leg.  Easy to do on a fixed tower but a crank-up won't allow this (at
least if you want to be able to crank the tower down).  Any suggestions
here on what to do with the coax going up through the center of the
tower to the yagi antenna on the top of the tower?  I was thinking that
I could use a grounding kit and ground the coax shield at the top and
bottom of the tower but would need to let it hang in the center to allow
me to crank the tower down.  Any problems with coax weight stretching
the cable?  Tower is 4-section 72 foot crank-up.
Thanks
Richard Harris - KJ7CU