[TowerTalk] Rain static

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Wed Aug 31 20:02:07 EDT 2005

When I lived in central Florida, running HF mobile CW, I sometimes would
have high rain static and other times not. When the static was there, it
was always proportional to vehicle speed.  I did experience an
interesting phenomenon associated with lightning (Florida lightning is
always interesting). When the rain static was not present, and when
there was a lightning strike within a mile or so, I would get the crash
in the receiver, and then a tremendous amount of static persisting for
up to a minute or so, trailing off in amplitude.  This didn't happen
every time, but often enough that it was noticable.  I have even heard
it on 2 meters a couple of times. I always attributed this to rain
particles getting charged and being picked up as I moved.  This static
was also proportional to vehicle speed.  I never knew if my guess about
what was happening was correct or not.  It just seemed like a logical
explanation.

Just another ingredient for the soup.

Jerry, K4SAV