[TowerTalk] Indirect Coupling to tower helps vert. polarization?

RLVZ@aol.com RLVZ at aol.com
Thu Dec 1 15:01:12 EST 2005

Hi guys,

Got a question I'd love to run by you:

At another QTH I had a 160-m. inverted vee with apex at 60' on a  Rohn 25
tower.  Had a Tribander mounted 3' up above it.  Not much of  an antenna on 160
but this particular antenna worked DX well ... much  better than it should
have.  Such as, a KL7 told me that I typically  was the first station East of the
Mississippi he heard on 160.

For a center insulator I was using a Unadilla 1:1 balun... the one with the
ground strap attached for lightning protection.  The ground strap was
attached to one leg of the tower.
I am wondering if somehow the DC ground strap was also coupling some RF  into
the tower?
(it would appear possible as I was never able to get the SWR on that
particular setup under 1.7 to 1 and usually it's quite easy to get a  lower SWR than
that)  Or would everyone agree that if I  had in-direct coupling taking place
that it was via the top mounted  tribander just a few feet above the apex of
the Inv. V?

With the way the low Inverted V worked so well on DX q's it would seem
certain that somehow the Vee was getting indirectly coupled to the tower...
thereby giving it some vertical polarization.

Question:  Are there any proven ways of mounting a Dipole or  Inverted V on a
tower so that some indirect coupling to the tower and  therefore some
vertical polarization can be derived from the  tower?

Thanks!

73, Dick- K9OM