[TowerTalk] Stringing beverage antenna wires [OT]

Robert Chudek k0rc at pclink.com
Thu Dec 1 19:03:01 EST 2005

I will install my first beverage antenna soon. The ground has frozen, the snow has fallen, and the pond is growing thicker with ice each day. It's antenna building time! :-)

I read many articles regarding the length, height, matching, termination, and other aspects of the beverage. I was also interested in the mechanical aspects of holding a 600+ foot piece of wire up in the air. The amateur literature offers some recommendations, but it doesn't hold a candle compared to the electrical aspects.

I want to pass along links I found. It seems the farming community has dealt with this issue long before Harold Beverage discovered the benefit of his antenna!

I continue to be amazed by how much I don't know! How about a "spinning jenny", or the "wire vise", or the "wire link", or how to identify the lead end of the wire, etc... For those of you who grew up on the farm, this is old hat. But for us city slickers who moved out to the country to build our starter castles... well... here you go...

Working with high tensile fence wire:
http://www.foothill.net/~ringram/hitensle.htm

So you thought you knew how to drive a staple:
http://www.foothill.net/~ringram/staple.htm

A simple wire tension meter:
http://www.foothill.net/~ringram/tension.htm

A stronger end brace: