[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 36, Issue 22, wanted tower sections

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 14:59:09 EST 2005

Some ideas:

Tell the guy to keep a lookout for a tower with a standard TV antenna
on top and approach the owner to see if they would like it removed.  I
scored a free Rohn 20G tower like this one time.  Something like that
would be fine for a light.  With all the DSS dishes out there, a lot
of those antennas and small towers are going unused now and sometimes
the owner (or XYL, ha!) will be happy to be rid of it.

Another idea is to check eBay periodically.  Rohn towers aren't on
there all the time like other items, but if you are patient one will
eventually pop up that is close to your area.

One more thing is to check with the local power company.  Sometimes
they will have old utility poles that have been replaced and they
might be willing to let one go for free.  It's not a tower, but it
would work fine for a light.  If you are real lucky, they might even
deliver it for you.  They did for a friend of mine.  Getting one of
those poles upright is the tricky part though. ;-)

Good luck!

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com