[TowerTalk] Radiation angle

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Thu Dec 8 22:53:11 EST 2005

The two largest factors affecting the take-off angle of a horizontal
dipole are the height above ground and the terrain surrounding your
antenna. NEC based and similar programs will give you information on
antenna efficiency and take-off angle over flat ground but they won't
handle the terrain question. The only program I know of that handles the
terrain is HFTA, but there may be others that I don't know about.  If
you live in rugged terrain, or have sloping ground close by, it is
possible that this can have a larger effect than the height directly
under the antenna.

An antenna on high ground with the ground sloping away from the antenna
is a big advantage for developing a low take-off angle.  The most
unpredictable ground is the really rough terrain that has lots of hills
and valleys repeated, as you move away from the antenna. Sometimes this
can be good, and often it can be bad depending on the operating
frequency and antenna height, and of course this varies a lot with the
azmuith angle.

Jerry, K4SAV