[TowerTalk] Wanted: AO software

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 10 00:56:47 EST 2005

At 11:41 AM 12/9/2005, Al Williams wrote:

>I wonder what the copyright laws have to say about this type of situation;
>when the copyright holder will not sell it to customers or a select group of
>customers?

That's why it's called copy*RIGHT*...  you hold copyright, you get to
decide what happens to it, and that includes not letting anyone have a
copy, no matter how deserving.

Under the doctrine of "first sale", you CAN sell/give/transfer a
copyrighted book to someone else (without keeping a copy for
yourself).  Most software, however, is not sold, it is licensed, and it is
perfectly reasonable, (and exceedingly common) to license it subject to a
restriction that it may not be sold, transfered, etc. to anyone else.
There's, shall we say, a bit of controversy about this sort of thing, but
that's basically where it sits.

In any case, you can't force someone to let you copy something (except for
a recorded musical work, where there is a thing called a compulsory
mechanical license).

Nor can you force someone to sell/license/give you something. Unless you
can show it's somehow in the public interest, in which case there's this
process called "eminent domain".  Somehow, I don't think AO fits in that
category.