[TowerTalk] Crank Up towers

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Dec 22 12:21:38 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/17/2005 9:03:36 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Can I get some feed back from you guys on experience  with
Crank Up towers?

>  1. Is it the way to go?
Pros and cons

    Cons - increased mechanically/electrical  complexity; much more expensive
than other similar antenna structures;  potentially fatal cable failures;
sometimes dangerous to work on. Check out  the TT archives for discussions of
guys trying to find replacement motors,  winches, etc. - they are numerous.

    Pros - I can't think of any.

>  2. Who makes a good one (inexpensive)
example: Hazer is too expensive

    If you think a Hazer is too expensive, wait until  you price out a
moderately equipped crank-up! A crank-up is the MOST expensive  antenna support you
can buy.

    US Tower is the 800 pound gorilla. They make a  good product and offer
good customer support. There is an aluminum crank-up  out there but it's even
more expensive and is very fragile compared to a steel  tower. Tri-Ex crank-ups
are being sold but I don't have anything good to say  about their customer
service.

    There are lots of used ones out there from  Hy-Gain, EZ Tower, Tri-Ex,
and others but there you're getting a pig-in-a-poke  reliability-wise.

    What's your local windspeed rating? What's your  proposed antenna system?
The gotcha with crank-ups is that they typically  can't be rated at more than
moderate windspeeds and windloads. They're only  rated at the factory specs
at 70 MPH - the lowest windspeed rating used.

    I think that a lot of people buy a crank-up  thinking that it's easier to
work on antennas and such. If everything is  installed properly, why would
you have to work on anything? I think people  spend money for this when they
really don't have to.

    Of course there are spouses that would prefer a  crank-up and other
aesthetic reasons for buying one but the only reason I've  ever heard of that truly
justifies one is N6RJ who convinced his neighbors it  would only be extended
after dark.

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC
TOWER TECH -