[TowerTalk] guy wire resonance

Doug Robson cdrobsonjr at netscape.net
Fri Dec 23 12:25:06 EST 2005

OUCH!!!!
Dave, for those of us considering the heavy outlay for Phillystran,
describe for us the conditions under which your Phillystran was
"cut" by the ice storm.  You used the word, "cut", and I'm trying
to envision how ice would have caused a cutting.  A weight overload,
causing a bursting, yes, but a "cut" ?  Please help an ignorant fella
understand.
Phillystran is a huge investment.
If it is subject to loss from ice, that gives cause for concern
and maybe a need to rethink. Do you know how many pounds of
tension your Phillystran was under prior to the ice storm?

Doug - KI4LZC

Dave <k4em at mindspring.com> wrote:

>I am replacing some guy wires on a 70' Rohn 25 with a 40m beam. What is the spacing between the insulators so the guys are not resonant? The guys are 3/16" EHS and I am using the 500D insulators. I lost 3 guys due to ice storm last week, the Phillystran was cut in half on the top 2 guys but the bottom guy with all steel cable was undamaged. It was the 4000lb Phillystran.
>
>Dave

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.