[TowerTalk] UNUN Transmission Line Transformers

Ed Stallman n5blz at ev1.net
Wed Dec 28 16:39:56 EST 2005

Hello all

I'm waiting for the concrete to dry at the base of me Rohn 45 tower at 280
feet from the shack. I will be using 3/4 inch 75 OHM CATV cable to feed a 2
element 5 band quad and a M2 6m7 6 meter beam. I know about trimming the
coax to 1/2 WL and how that will multiply up in Freq, plus the worse SWR
would only be 1.5.1 by doing nothing. My plans are to use a UNUN balun at
each end of the 75 OHM line that is good for 1.5 KW. I see that Array
Solutions sells a UNUN rated at 5 KW to 60 Mhz and the price looks fair but
I would like to wind my own plus save some money. Looking in the antenna
hand book plus everything I can find on the internet say their only good
from 3 to 30 or 3 to 40 Mhz, This is fine for the 5 band quad but also want
the UNUN to work at 50.125 Mhz. Looking at Amidon web page I see they sell
a Balun kit (Frequency range 1.8 - 30 MHZ
For high power BALUN and UNUN Transmission Line Transformers designed by
Dr. Jerry Sevick, W2FMI. Includes FT240-K core, 12FT #14 Thermaleze wire,
12FT Teflon sleeve, Transmission Line Transformers Handbook. Up to 5KW.)
I''m not sure what I need to do, to get the freq up to 50.1 Mhz? would I
need a different core ? should I buy this kit and hope the SWR is not that
bad at 50.1 Mhz... Thanks for any ideas you may have

73 Ed N5BLZ