[TowerTalk] crankup use and winter maintenance

Charles Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Thu Dec 29 08:37:32 EST 2005

On 12/29/2005 Jim Jarvis wrote:

<snip>
> However, I am surprised that nobody renewed the discussion about
> treatment of the hoist cable.  Lube, etc., to keep water from
> wicking into the wire rope, freezing and working. <snip>

I don't have a tower - YET - but I've had some experience with wire
rope hoists, as I used to work in that business.  Believe it or not,
there is such a thing as "Wire Rope Lube" that is available in a spray
can, and it DOES make the rope last a LOT longer.  It's a waxy grease
of some sort that tends NOT to collect dirt, and it is dissolved in a
solvent.  You spray it on the cable, and it works like a penetrating
oil - it soaks into the cable, and then it DRIES, protecting the wire
rope from rust, and just as important, lubricating the stands of the
rope when they slide over each other - and yes, they do slide as load
is taken on and off, as well as when the rope goes around a pulley or
drum.

As to how to get some - we used to have it at the "material Handling"
company I worked for (Think bridge cranes and conveyor belts), and I'd
bet if you called your local company...

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

"Blame the idiots. Think globally, but mock them locally. "
 -- mwalker (walker at msgto.com) on slashdot.org