[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 36, Issue 79

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Dec 30 08:04:46 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/28/2005 11:05:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

jimlux at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Re:[AR902Mhz]  Tower Installation
To: "larryjspammenot at teleport.com"  <larryj at teleport.com>,
towertalk at contesting.com

At 08:33 AM 12/28/2005,  larryjspammenot at teleport.com wrote:
>This is forwarded from the AR902Mhz  mailing list. See the very bottom
>paragraph about building the rebar  cage. Somehow, I always thought that
>the rebar cage in a concrete  tower foundation was NOT to be welded
>together, just tied with some  kind of wire ties. Did I miss something
>along the  way?
>LJ

Those iron oxide diodes are embedded in a fairly  conductive block of
concrete that probably has lower resistance than the  diodes, so it's
probably not an issue.

However as far as welding  goes, rebar CAN be welded, but it takes a special
technique, and requires  some knowledge of the bar material and the right
welding rod.  This  isn't a "get the old buzz box out and tack everything
together" kind of  operation.  And, as always with structural kinds of
things, you need  to talk to your local regulators.  There's been enough
disasters with  welded rebar that there is some sensivity to the  issue.