[TowerTalk] Elevated guys to aN extreme

Phil Camera kb9cry at comcast.net
Fri Dec 30 14:12:08 EST 2005

I don't think that the guys mean to burn your ears Mark.  Your own remarks in your write-up on the website tend to steer us in that direction.  You may have been lucky the past 5 years and/or the whole system really works.  I'm a capital project manager for a large chemical company so I've seen lots of rigging and structural work in my time.

I am not a structural engineer but I too get a bad feeling when I look at the pictures and try to imagine the design.  To me it seems that you're using a tower as an anchor point for two other towers.  I believe this small tower is also guyed.  My concern is two-fold.  First what are the stresses on that tower and is it designed/capable of handling them.  Second, if I've got the layout right, I can imagine that load from one large tower pulling on that smaller tower and that load must then transfer itself into that tower's guys and then at the same time load from the other large tower is also pulling on the small tower and all these loads must redistribute themselves to that tower's guys or else something fails. Sounds like a nice challenge for an SE to calc!  Good luck to us all.  Phil  KB9CRY