[TowerTalk] Fw: Re:[AR902Mhz] Tower Installation

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Dec 30 15:12:28 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/30/2005 9:23:55 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
farmer.aj at gmail.com writes:

>>         It's been my experience   that rebar in tower bases isn't usually
>> 'structural'. It's primary  purpose is to  hold the concrete together
while it
>> cures to  prevent cracks in it. Rebar  schedules are in the drawings for
each  tower

>  The rebar is not just to "hold it together while it  cures", it
provides tension strength to the concrete.  Concrete has  high
compression strength, but has very little tension strength.  The  rebar
provides the tension strength.

        Okay, I stand corrected.  Does that make it "structural"? Wouldn't
the ground provide the  constraint/tension? I can see where a concrete block
sitting on top of the  ground would need the tension but below grade isn't that a
moot point?

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH