[TowerTalk] Liquid Metal antenna?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 31 10:02:02 EST 2005

At 06:05 AM 12/31/2005, kd4e wrote:
>Mike:
>
>     Someone didn't read closely and wrote assuming you
>were using mercury vs Galinstan.

here's a bunch of safety and handling information for Galinstan:
http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/servlets/purl/811932-smXmM0/native/811932.pdf

>     The concept is fascinating, sort of a liquid SteppIR beam!
>
>Questions:
>
>1.  How quickly does the Galinstan heat in the presence of
>RF energy and how does that vary at different frequencies?
>
>2.  Do the qualities of Galinstan change when heated so it
>becomes unstable in any significant way?

Per the above document, nope..

>3.  What is the cost of Galinstan in the quantities necessary
>to build a HF antenna?

Probably high.  Gallium isn't cheap, nor is indium.  But not excessively high.
The thermometers contain 0.01g of galinstan.  RG sells it for $1/gram, but
the DoE report says that someone in California will make the stuff for
$0.25/gram  (in 2002)

>4.  Does the Galinstan attack the gasket material?

Probably depends on the material.  Seems not to have problems with
plastics, but attacks metals. (aluminum and copper, for instance)