[TowerTalk] How to stiffen a mast

MIKE GREENWAY K4PI at peoplepc.com
Tue Feb 1 08:49:55 EST 2005

I thought about this some years ago and had a friend turn some solid oak
dowels on his lathe that would just go into the mast.  I used a hammer to
tap them into place but I brushed on epoxy just to take up any spacing
between the two.  I capped the mast on both ends.  It has been there for
years.  I asked a structual engineer afterward about doing this and he said
they sometimes combine wood with metal to increase the strength.  Whether it
is worth doing or not I cannot say but it made me feel a lot better.73 Mike
K4PI