[TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 26, Issue 4

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Feb 1 14:47:22 EST 2005

On Feb 1, 2005, at 2:10 PM, Keith Dutson wrote:

> Stainless steel threads have a tendency to gall, especially if the
> bolt is
> over-torqued.  Once this happens, the bolt will not reverse and the
> head
> usually breaks off while trying to remove it.

I've only had trouble with this when using stainless bolts with
stainless nuts. The two surfaces will gall pretty easily. K7LXC
recommends never-seize. I've had good luck using a liberal application
of WD-40 before tightening or loosening these stainless assemblies.

However, my original e-mail suggested using stainless bolts to fasten a
rotator to its base plate. In this case, the rotator housing is
aluminum. I don't think galling would be a problem here, since the
aluminum is much softer than the stainless.

> My experience is that hot dipped galvanized bolts do not rust.  Many
> are
> grade 3 which is fairly soft and will break.  I always look for grade 5
> (three marks on head) which is difficult to break.  Electroplated bolts
> always seem to rust after a few years.  I do not use them outdoors.

You'd have a hard time threading hot-dipped galvanized bolts into an
aluminum housing. Which is why I suggested stainless. They won't rust,
either.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901