[TowerTalk] re: stiffening masts

Dave NØRQ n0rq-lists at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 2 19:17:45 EST 2005

Rob put into words exactly what I was thinking.

That aluminum mast might flex, and if wind was bad
enough, yes, it would bend.  However, it won't break, while
those steel masts could easily break (if pushed beyond their
limits), not just bend.  I'd rather keep my antennas in the air
on a bent aluminum mast than on the ground because of a
broken steel mast.  I suppose monster beams or long mast
lengths might require steel, but I suspect most ham
installations would do quite nicely with aluminum.
--
Dave NØRQ