[TowerTalk] 2 element phased vertical

Van Fair giw at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 3 13:40:45 EST 2005

I just put up a Hy Gain Hy Tower which is 53 feet tall and is liner loaded somehow to be a 1/4 wave on 75 meters. It works quite well with a modest 1000ft ground field. I am considering adding a second vertical and would use a simple Christman feed system to phase the two.

My question is:  Do I have to have another very similar short vertical such as a Hy Tower or could I use a full size 1/4 wave vertical for the second antenna spaced 1/4 wave away with a second ground field just like the hy tower has.  I have some Rohn 25 and long mast which could get me to 62 feet high and use fiberglass rod insulators at the base of the Rohn.