[TowerTalk] 2 element phased vertical

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 3 16:46:55 EST 2005

At 12:07 PM 2/3/2005, Van Fair wrote:
>Hi Jim. Thank you so very much for the time you spent. I may be in over my
>head.  I dont have or use excel and I dont know how to use NEC. I think I
>have it from the ARRL antenna handbook CD. I guess the answer is, it is
>possible to use different antennas but only if you know how.
>
>To just build it and try to make it work may be to much of a hit and miss
>proposition. Since ground which is unknown plays such a big role I guess
>there is no such thing as build it like the drawing and it will work.   How
>much of what you proposed would be required if both towers and ground fields
>were identically built and spaced exactly 1/4 wave apart for 3.800. Would
>the problem then be only determining the length of the coax when the number
>of degrees  comes from fig 11-13 in ON4UN book or is the degree based on the
>ground field.  The only thing I have to use for antennas is the MFJ antenna
>analyzer.

OK. so you can skip the NEC model to establish feasibility..
Sure, the ground losses have an effect, but NEC can approximate that, and
when all is said and done, you'll still have to measure the real impedances.

If you've got the towers up, you can measure the impedances, and go from
there.  The MFJ will certainly do the job as long as it's the one that
reads X as well as R.

What is fairly certain is that you DO need at least an estimate of the
impedances to figure out the coax length, and that figuring is a bit
tedious to do by hand.

Maybe someone will create an online phased array calculator using java or
javascript?  If anyone's interested, I can supply you with all the
equations, etc.