[TowerTalk] Boom splice securing

RICHARD BOYD ke3q at msn.com
Fri Feb 4 18:41:25 EST 2005

The last I bought some it was very expensive.  I think those of us here in
the Maryland area building large homebrew yagis have bought it from
Dillsburg Aeroplane Works in Dillsburg, Pennsylvania.  Maybe Texas Towers
sells it too.  If you know some of the guys who have built these big yagis,
you may be able to buy a several-foot-long piece left over from one of their
projects.  It seems like the price was a couple hundred dollars for one
splice piece.  For something that thick wall there's a lot of aluminum in it
and aluminum prices have been very high, historically speaking.

I was fortunate to get a couple other long ones (e.g. 20') in tower
takedowns (used as masts) and/or laying in the weeds at out-of-service ham
QTHs and recognized their value as splice material.

But, not just the thick wall stuff but even thin wall aluminum tubing has
been very high for some years, and even the G10 fiberglass-type material
used in 1" thickness for element to boom plates cost $70 (probably more now
I would guess) apiece for 1" x 12" x 12".  None of these things are cheap.
I guess that's why commercial yagis can cost $1,000 and up.

Which brings us to the best bargains in ham radio -- antennas like used TH-6
tribanders.  I've had a number of them used and had trouble selling them for
$150 or even $100, but could usually "place" one by reducing the price to
between $50-$100 and knowing of someone who might be in the market.  Take
them to a hamfest on top of your pickup and they get very few "looks."  The
aluminum in these antennas must cost considerably more than what they go for
used.  Or, ask around to all your friends and you may well find someone
willing to give an old one away free.  I offered a TH-6 to a friend
yesterday and he turned it down (I realized later it was a TH-3).

73 - Rich, KE3Q