[TowerTalk] Comprehensive Grounding Tutorial on Web

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 6 23:07:21 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry at centurytel.net>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Comprehensive Grounding Tutorial on Web

> This is hardly comprehensive.
>

> Lot's of details left. Other have also pointed this out.
>
> I would recommend a TIA/EIA document or similar.

I suppose the problems with TIA/EIA or IEEE documents are the following:

1) Too much detail  (nobody really wants to read a 200+ page document)
2) Not specific to ham applications (we're not grounding substations, nor
cell towers, etc.)
3) They aren't available online for free (hams are cheap, and aren't about
to pay $50 for the IEEE spec)

That's why I was thinking that coming up with a suitable peer-reviewed
document aimed directly at hams would be useful. Not an application note
from a mfr or sales oriented source; not that information from PolyPhaser or
ICE isn't useful, but they have an obvious orientation, so you'd want
independent backup. (No "NASA bought Static-Cats, so they must work"
nonsense)  With a suitable bibliography and references to look up more info,
etc.

Preparing such a thing would be a lot of work...