[TowerTalk] re: High Power RF Conn

N7KA at comcast.net N7KA at comcast.net
Mon Feb 7 00:16:14 EST 2005

The C type connector has the added value of insulation around the female mating connector.  When mated there is about .1 inches of teflon insulation between the center pins and the shield.  This connector is a bayonet coupling type.

The military has used these in many applications.

Good info on these  connectors can be found by getting a copy of MIL-PRF-39012/06 for straight male connectors.

Another source for good info on a variety of connectors can be found in Delta RF Connector catalog.  Try their web site www.DeltaRF.com

I have had N type connector center pins pull apart  (many do not have a captivated center pin) so I  am slowly going away from N connectors for out door use.

I do have the advantage of almost unlimited 1/2 inch hard line so RG-213 use is limited to inside and outside flexible areas (tower to mast) and some phasing lines.  I do make my own connector for the 1/2 inch hard line (ending up with UHF connector).  With liberal amount of tape and the dry New Mexico climate I have seen no failures in over 15 years of service.

Another good connector is the 7/16 though not the cheapest.

73 de Arne N7KA