[TowerTalk] quick waterproofing for PL-259 connectors?

Roger K8RI on Tower k8ri-tower at charter.net
Tue Feb 8 12:00:10 EST 2005

That's certainly using your imigination, but I didn't know they were made
that small<:-))
OTOH maybe they are using large coax.

> How about a condom?

Still, cut the end off, twist to fit, and use rubber bands at each end?

Roger Halstead (K8RI and ARRL Life Member)
N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com

> 73
> Gary  K4FMX
>
> Roger K8RI on Tower wrote:
>> You might try to find a bicycle tire innertube of the proper size.  I
>> know it's small, but there many be some that will fit.  Won't be cheap
>> though.
>>
>> Another alternative is silicone and latex tubing (if you can find it).  I
>> know it's manufactured, and either would work well, but I don't know who
>> sells the stuff retail.
>>
>> You could cut the fingers out of a latex surgical glove (size small), but
>> those are fragile.
>>
>> Think innovation.  There have to be lots of sources.
>>
>> Roger Halstead (K8RI and ARRL Life Member)
>> N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
>> www.rogerhalstead.com
>>

>>> I'm looking for good ideas on how to waterproof a PL-259/SO-239 type
>>> connection (say, a pair of PL's with a barrel in between) for temporary
>>> use.
>>> There's lots of good ideas in the archives for permanent installation,
>>> but
>>> what I'm looking for is something for a portable/field day operation.
>>>
>>> 1) real fast to mate (ideally, no extra time over what it takes to mate
>>> the
>>> connectors)
>>> 2) cheap
>>> 3) real fast to demate