[BULK] - RE: [TowerTalk] RG-11 Source?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 17:15:40 EST 2005

At 11:47 AM 2/9/2005, Steve Katz wrote:

> > I'd stick with RG6 Quad or 1/2" 75 Ohm TV hardline, which
>is pretty much all
> > the cable companies use.
>
>Not anyplace I've worked or lived!
>
>::Here in L.A., it's all they use.  We have Time Warner Comms cable
>throughout the west end, and all pole runs are 1/2" hardline and all
>residential drops are RG6 Quad with a messenger wire molded into it.
>Interior runs are RG6 Quad without the messenger wire.  F11 isn't to be
>found, at all -- although possibly in industrial buildings it is, I don't
>know.  My residential drop at home, which was installed in November 2000 to
>replace an aging drop, is 250' long and RG6 Quad+Messenger.  -WB2WIK/6

OK folks, this thread serves to confirm that we're not normal people.

Only subscribers to this list would
a) know that there is more than one kind of "cable"
b) know that cable TV companies use various kinds in various situations
c) Actually go to the trouble to figure out what kind of coax they actually
installed on your house.
d) and then debate the merits of their choice.

(we haven't gotten here yet, but we will)

e) debate whether you could use the cable TV drop messenger wire and/or
shield as an end fed wire antenna by shunt feeding against the grounding
block, and then, whether the increased bandwidth from using both messenger
and shield (making a bigger diameter antenna) is worth the increased loss
from using the steeel messenger (or whether you could use it as a folded
sloper)

Jim, W6RMK