[TowerTalk] Fw: Topband: Top Loading of Shunt-fed Tower

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Wed Feb 9 17:58:41 EST 2005

Tony,

> > I assume the StepIR uses an aluminum boom. I wonder if
> > there is there any chance of arc-over from the boom to
> > the motor circuits with high voltage induced at the top
> > of the tower/boom when loading on 160M?

Not likely ... with the control wires taped tightly to the
boom, the RF voltage induced in the control wires will be
very close to that in the boom.  The differential will be
small enough so as not to pose a problem.

The motors are isolated from the BeCu tape ... the shaft of
the sprocket assembly is an insulating material.  Thus if
the parasitic elements are retracted there is very little
capacitance to couple (and develop a voltage differential)
across the shaft.  The safest course of action is to take
a piece of 1/2" wide aluminum or copper flashing and connect
between the contact assemblies of the "outside" parasitic
elements (reflector and last director) and the closest
mounting bolt.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK