multishields in CATV was Re: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] RG-11 Source?

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Thu Feb 10 14:16:01 EST 2005

Michael Tope wrote:

  Of course, unlike the pregnant CATV version, the Belden
> instrument was long and slender, properly terminated, and operated
> below waveguide mode cutoff :):) In either case, these shielding
> effectiveness numbers used to bother me because it was never clear
> how to relate them to absolute leakage levels.
>
> 73 de Mike, W4EF...............................................

Look up "transfer impedance" on google. There are several articles
describing testing cable leakage with a chamber.

It is also interesting to note that transfer impedance comes into play
with solid shield cable too. This is also how lightning gets on the
center conductor of a cable when using a shorted / grounded antenna
element or a shorted stub at the top of the cable.

Current introduced on the shield of the cable has an IR loss in the
shield material making one end of the cable shield at a different
potential than the other end. This transfers to the inside of the shield.

73
Gary  K4FMX