[TowerTalk] Analog coaxial trunks? Not bathing, that's for sure...

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 21:16:13 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux at earthlink.net>

> In the cable TV world, they tend to use dBmV (into 75 ohms, presumably),
> but in any case losses should work the same regardless, a typical path
from
> "mainline cable" appears to be something like 26 dB for the tap, 2dB for
> the drop, 6dB for inhouse cable and splitters, so 34dB from "main wire" to
> the -40 odd at the set.(I seem to recall something like -33 dBm
corresponds
> to +15dBmV, which is a typical level). Figure at least zero, and then
> they'd add some margin, so they're probably running +10 dBm (per carrier)
> or several watts down the wire with all 100+ channels...

>  Generally I think the carrier levels on analog coaxial trunks are
set at something like +33dBmV/carrier (~-15dBm).

Holy leaky coax, Batman! What the heck does that have to do with towers and HF antenna construction projects? Please QSY to the RF engineers reflector and let us mere mortals get back to antenna and erection topics. Thank you.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TT ADMIN